Monday, February 20, 2006

Preparing to enter the hospital for hip surgery

Some thoughts that I wish I could pass along to Mike and others about to go into the hospital for hip surgery.

First, pack light. Wear loose pants -- remember, you'll need to put them on over a dressing. You can probably go home in the same clothes you wear to the hospital -- no need to bring extra changes of clothes, beyond a few clean underpants. Wear loose socks; you'll be learning how to put them on with a sock tool (something like this) and you'll need to fit the socks over the tool easily.

Bring some magazines and perhaps a book to entertain you. Nothing too heavy; this is not the time to finally read Moby Dick. Remember, you'll be dopy with pain medication, and you'll be frequently interrupted by nurses and techs who want to check your blood pressure, check your breathing, and find out if you've passed gas or had a bowel movement yet. Splurge on something entertaining -- I took a couple of garden magazines and a home decorating magazine. After I'd leafed through one to my satisfaction, I passed it along to the nurses for their pleasure and for the waiting room. They seemed pleased to receive them.

Bring some postcards or notecards, stamps, and addresses, so that you can write thanks for the flowers and plants you'll receive.

Most important, bring a sense of humor. When you're dependent on others to get you out of bed, that helps a lot.

1 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

Hi! I hope you are feeling better after your hip replacement!! I saw you popped over at my blog and thought I woudl come say hi. :) You have made me think again about getting my hip checked out....there seems to be something in my entire family, with all the women.......lots of hip stuff...UGH

ANyway....I hope you are healing just fine!! I hope you come back and visit again....can't ever guarantee what you will find there though...lol I can be kinda goofy :) Take care and have a great day :)

1:17 PM, March 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home